Principal Development Scientist
Conagra Brands has the most energized, highest-impact culture in food. Our people persistently challenge and disrupt marketplace/business conventions and we are respected for our great brands, great food, great margins and consistent results. Conagra Brands, be part of building something BIG.
Provides technical expertise and leadership in Research and Development projects and technology initiatives. Independently conceives, plans, and conducts research to influence scientific knowledge and technological developments. Assesses feasibility and soundness of proposed experimental approaches, techniques, or equipment. Carries out complex or novel assignment requirements and the development of new and/or improved techniques and procedures. Supervises technical activities of other professionals and specialists with complete project accountability, assuring effective execution of assigned projects. Drives project timelines, creates technical proposals, and reports and makes recommendations.
- Develop new products beginning at the concept phase through successful commercialization
- Design and conduct plant trials and new product start-ups
- Plan, prioritize and complete tasks effectively and efficiently
- Creates product development schedules that are required to meet project timelines
- Maintain accurate and complete records
- Work with pilot plant equipment
- Learn and utilize on-line specification system
- Design and execute experiments and prepare results for review
- Review experimental reports as expert
- Conceptualize and develop new products prototypes
- Manage individual tasks and works under limited supervision
- Drive product cuttings, plant trials, and testing
- Drive long term planning and product strategy
- Teach and mentor other food scientists
- Manage other food scientists or technologists
- MS in Food Science plus 7 years of relevant work experience.
- PhD in Food Science or related field plus 5 years work experience
- Thorough understanding of food science
- Exhibit leadership and proactive attitudes in approaching technical solutions to business and market issues
- Ability to independently manage project work.
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrate ability to communicate well and to effectively influence and interact with others to accomplish research goals
- Great negotiating skills when working through conflict resolution
- Great presentation skills, both oral and written
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software
- Problem solving skills
- Great relationship skills, both internally and externally, to achieve strong partnership and collaboration
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Requires knowledge in food product design, formulation, ingredient functionality and interaction, process design, product scale-up, plant testing and commercialization
- Good understanding of food industry standards of quality and foods safety, and FDA regulations.
- Experience with government regulatory requirements in the processing of food
- Demonstrate exceptional competence in a basic technology needed to meet business strategy and serve as technical expert for the corporation and company on decisions which impact the business
- People management experience required
- Work in and around cramped/confined spaces
- Climbing to various heights via stairs or ladders
- Exposure to manufacturing environments for periodic extended work days to include: loud noise, excessive heat, cold, wet, and slippery conditions.
- Use of tools, equipment, and machinery
- Driving a company or rental vehicle for up to 6 hours as needed
- May travel up to 30% of time. Must be able to travel independently and as a responsible CAG representative.
- Exposure to food tasting and smells including all food allergens
Conagra Brands is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.
WHO IS CONAGRA BRANDS?
Conagra Brands (NYSE: CAG) is an approximately $8 billion company that combines a rich heritage of making great food with a sharpened focus and entrepreneurial spirit. We’re transforming the way we operate to fulfill what consumers and customers want, in a smart, simple way. We’re modernizing our iconic food brands, leveraging fresh opportunities and adapting to a changing landscape – all with a culture that’s ready to capture growth and drive shareholder value.